Do you speak Hungarian?
Never mind! You have to know just some numbers. Food ingredients that must be declared as allergens in the EU. Hungary is a member of the EU. In Hungarian restaurants, you must find allergens on the menu or you can ask for it the waiter.
Level one – allergen list
First let me show you the allergen list in the EU. You have to memorize just the numbers:
- Cereals containing gluten:
- wheat (such as spelt and khorasan wheat),
- oats (oat is originally gluten free but it can be cross contaminated in most of mills)
- or their hybridized strains, and products thereof;
- Crustaceans and products thereof,
- Eggs and products thereof
- Fish and products thereof,
- Peanuts and products thereof,
- Soybeans and products thereof,
- Milk and products thereof (including lactose),
- Nuts: almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, cashews, pecan nuts, Brazil nuts, pistachio nuts, macadamia or Queensland nuts, and products thereof,
- Celery and products thereof,
- Mustard and products thereof,
- Sesame seeds and products thereof,
- Sulphur dioxide and sulphites at concentrations of more than 10 mg/kg or 10 mg/liter in terms of the total SO2 which are to be calculated for products as proposed ready for consumption or as reconstituted according to the instructions of the manufacturers,
- Lupin and products thereof,
- Molluscs and products thereof.
There are many exceptions to them. If the food contains allergens (not the except ones) you can find:
- the ingredients on the package or
- the numbers above on the menu.
If you have celiac disease or you can’t eat gluten you have to memorize only one number: 1. This number shows gluten in food.
Level two – ask the waiter
If you don’t find any number on the menu you can go to level two. Ask for allergens from the waiter.
If the waiter doesn’t speak English you have one chance.
Level three – the gluten free info card
You can download a card with the most important Hungarian words and sentences. Hungarian is a very-very hard language. Don’t try to spell Hungarian words. It will be too difficult.
At the third level you have to do:
- print the gluten free info card at home or
- download it on your phone or tablet,
- just show the sentences on the card to the seller at the shop or the waiter. They will understand it.
Just download this free gluten free info card!